Propane for an Energy-Efficient Home
How much do you know about propane and energy-efficient equipment? Here are some facts that may surprise you.
- Propane appliances typically reduce energy costs, delivering better value and comfort than other heating sources.
- Propane burns hotter and more efficiently than many other energy sources.
- Propane gas furnaces produce much higher indoor air temperatures than their less efficient electric counterparts.
- Propane heats water quickly and efficiently for your shower and bath, as well as for your dishwasher, washing machine and pool. Whether you choose a propane storage tank water heater or a propane tankless water heater, you’ll feel the difference compared with inefficient electric water heaters.
- Propane is more efficient than electricity when you evaluate the total energy consumed, including the energy used in the extraction, production, processing and transportation of the fuel to the point of use. Based on this analysis, propane is 87% efficient and electricity is 32% efficient.
Keep looking for more technological advances to arise in the years ahead, including renewable propane and zero-net-energy solutions. These advances will make propane’s value per dollar greater than ever before.
Even now, it’s possible for some people to go off the electric grid entirely, thanks to a system that uses micro-combined heat and power (micro-CHP) technology. This advanced system allows a furnace to be combined with a generator to heat a home or business while making electricity, too.
Micro-CHP technology has actually been used for decades in the commercial and industrial sectors. More recently, it has proven to be a viable option in residences where there is high propane demand, such as multifamily buildings and large luxury estates.
Propane—the more you know, the happier you’ll be using this safe and reliable American-made energy source! Contact your local propane company in Tennessee to learn how you can use this efficient fuel to your best advantage!